Friday, January 16, 2009

DON BINACO. Jersey Shore Skate Legend!

I first met Don skating in front of the local shop in Bricktown...Impact Zone. Now throughout the 80's and early 90's Impact Zone had been in 3 locations. Eventually ending up right next to my High School as the IMPACT ZONE skate park or better know as the Brick Skatepark.
The session I met Don at had taken place at the second location in Brick @ The Cost Cutters Plaza. In front of the shop was a very long waxed curb. A low to high ledge as well as a bump were in front of the Movie Theater. With a huge rail that was only able to be hit via a nice launch ramp. We also had various ramps, boxes and other obstacles on the side. All made by the local kids in town.
On a good day you would have almost 30 kids sessioning the place. Boom Boxes blasting Hardcore, Metal and Hip Hop. With the area's finest throwing down. Over the years I had seen the Shut team come through, Cab, Colin McKay, Dune and many others. Just to skate or little spot tucked in a corner of Brick.
But back to the point...as you see...I tend to stray from that many times.
Don Binaco!!! The first time I skated with him he blew my mind. He skated faster then most, with a precision and intensity I had almost only seen in the videos.
From that day on we had created a friendship that would revolve around our love for skateboarding, music and acting a fool.
Here is an interview I did with Don around 2000. I had stepped away from skating in 1997 to pursue Surfing full time. But working in the skate industry I had always tried to support my friends that were pushing the boundaries and bringing to a level I had never dreamed we could have achieved.
Don although semi retired still continues to kill it on a skateboard on any terrain put in front of him.
Peace.

P.S. Click on images to get the full view and you will actually be able to read them.






No comments:

Post a Comment